Swing Bed Program
The Swing Bed Program at John C. Stennis Memorial Hospital provides the very best in rehabilitative and recuperative care. Our staff of professionals can help the patient regain the skills necessary for an independent lifestyle. We work with patients to help them manage their health once they have been discharged.
The inpatient program provides recuperative care for patients who have been hospitalized for an illness and who meet certain criteria.
Admissions to the Swing Bed Program are made through the patient’s physician and the Swing Bed Coordinator. Each patient is evaluated prior to admission to ensure that swing bed is the most appropriate level of care for the patient.
The Swing Bed Program bridges the gap between acute hospital care and the return to home or to assisted living.
For more information, patients need to contact their physician or the John C. Stennis Memorial Hospital Swing Bed Coordinator.
Patients admitted to the Swing Bed Program must meet certain requirements. The need for specialized care may be identified as early as the first hospital day or sometimes prior to admission to the hospital.
- Patients must have been hospitalized for a minimum of three nights for acute illness/surgery.
- Patients must require at least one skilled service.
- Patients must be accessed and accepted by all team disciplines.
- Patients must have an accepting physician on the John C. Stennis Memorial Hospital staff.
Types of Conditions and Treatments That May Qualify Patients for the Swing Bed Program
- Postsurgical orthopedic conditions, including knee surgery, hip replacement and shoulder surgery
- Intravenous antibiotic therapy
- Wound care
- Rehabilitation, including physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy.
Other conditions may also qualify the patient for admission to the Swing Bed Program.
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Wound care
- Intravenous therapy
- Professional nursing care
- Medication Adjustments
- Nutritional assessment and support
Other Services Offered
- Case management
- Discharge planning
For more information on eligibility requirements or for assistance, please call the Swing Bed Coordinator, 769-486-1000.